Vanessa Chase Lockshin is an international non-profit consultant, thought leader, trainer, and speaker. She’s part of the next generation of professionals bringing change to the non-profit sector and challenging conventions. Vanessa is President of The Storytelling Non-Profit, and author of The Storytelling Non-Profit: A practical guide to telling stories that raise money and awareness. To date, Vanessa has helped non-profits raise over $10 million. She is also a board member at WAVAW Rape Crisis Centre.
CHECK OUT THE REST OF OUR STORY PROS SERIES WITH LEADING BUSINESS STORYTELLING PROFESSIONALS!
Highlights from the Show
- The importance of relationship in long term donor relationship.
- Why story is a critical part of the nonprofit toolset – to bring communications alive.
- Using data without data dumping.
- Looking for different stories: stories of impact; stories of donors.
- Stories can communicate values and beliefs — we provide social proof to others like them.
- The difference between testimonials from donors and stories?
- Clarifying the basic emotion we want people to feel, Why inspiration works more than pity.
- Making sure that we keep the dignity and respect in a story that we are telling for someone else.
- The importance of conveying urgency or readiness for action, be able to answer the question, “Why give now?”
- Know why the community needs a program–and then build around that in sharing why we need it now.
- Create a culture of storytelling and create a team effort.
- Considering the double edges of social media.
- The role of videos.
- How to leverage your content.
- Why conflict is needed in a story.
- The real hero of a fundraising story is the donor.
- How to build empathy with the clients.
Hear the interview with Vanessa:
And if you like the show, please subscribe in iTunes and leave a rating or review!
And please leave a rating and review!
The Show Notes
Learn more about Vanessa’s work at www.thestorytellingnonprofit.com